CCO now has three options for taking written exams: Online Proctored Testing (OPT), Test Center Testing (TCT), and Event Online Testing (EOT). All methods of test delivery offer:
- Easy and fast online application
- No late application fees
- Quick and simple online scheduling
- No rescheduling fees
- Switch between testing options easily and at no cost
- Immediate score reporting *
*A preliminary score will be available immediately. Results are subject to review and approval following standard testing protocols.
Testing fees are the same no matter which option works best for you.
The same exam delivery platform is used to administer all written exams, so the look and feel is nearly identical no matter which option is selected. Exams that require supplements (e.g., load charts) or calculators have these available on-screen. In place of scratch paper, candidates may use a physical whiteboard/dry erase board up to 8.5 in. x 11 in. or an on-screen whiteboard that is built into the exam.
See how the testing platform works at www.nccco.org/ESOdemo.
Comparing Exam Delivery Options
Online Proctored Testing (OPT)
OPT allows individual candidates to take exams anytime, anywhere via computer while being monitored by a proctor virtually. Benefits specific to OPT include:
- Available 24/7 – Test without missing work
- Test from anywhere – Home, office, hotel, anywhere with sufficient internet and a private room with a closed door
- Fast scheduling – Candidates may be able to schedule testing appointments in as little as 15 minutes (pending availability)
- Exams on your computer - Use your own computer that meets minimum technical requirements and has a microphone and webcam.
- Flexible rescheduling – You may reschedule up to 30 minutes prior to your exam appointment time
- No additional fees – no “sitting fee” or other hidden charges
Learn more about OPT computer and testing space requirements.
Test Center Testing (TCT)
TCT allows individual candidates to go to a professional computer lab environment established specifically for administering secure exams. Benefits specific to TCT include:
- Testing near you – Nearly 600 testing centers available nationwide
- Plan ahead – Candidates will schedule (or reschedule) exam appointments at least 2 days before testing
- Show up and test – No need to ensure your space, computer, or internet meet specifications
- Whiteboards provided – The test center provides an 8.5 in. x 11 in. whiteboard to each candidate
- In-person Proctor – Professional, experienced TCT staff on-site to get your exam started
- No additional fees – No “sitting fee” or other hidden charges
Learn more about TCT.
Event Online Testing (EOT)
EOT allows groups of candidates to test, usually at an employer or training provider facility. The EOT test site has complete flexibility with setting up exams on a schedule that meets the site and their stakeholders’ needs. Benefits specific to EOT include:
- Familiar setting – Testing is typically done at your employer or training provider’s facility
- On-site testing personnel – Individuals credentialed by CCO will be onsite to guide you through the test day process
- Scheduling flexibility – Work with testing personnel to schedule and reschedule, even if you miss your exam time
- Show up and test – No need to ensure your space, computer, and internet connection meet specifications
Learn more about EOT.