NCCCO 20th Anniversary
2015 marked the Twentieth (20th) Anniversary of the founding of NCCCO, and 2016 marks the 20th Anniversary of when CCO certification first became available. Over the past two decades, CCO certification has become the premier crane-related credential in the United States, if not the world. None of the major safety advances that have come with the introduction of professional personnel certification would have been possible without the industry foundation that established NCCCO and has continued to support it ever since.
As highlighted in the following timeline, for more than 20 years NCCCO has been the leading independent non-profit organization dedicated to the development of effective personnel assessments for safe crane operations. By providing thorough, independent evaluations of knowledge and skill, NCCCO seeks to enhance lifting equipment safety, reduce workplace risk, improve performance records, stimulate training, and give due recognition to the professional skills required for crane operations (view NCCCO 20th Anniversary Timeline PDF 6.5 mb).
Developed through the participation of all sectors of industry, and validated through peer review, CCO certification programs have met the most rigorous standards of professional credentialing criteria since NCCCO was founded in 1995. Compliant with ASME standards and recognized by both federal and state agencies, including OSHA, CCO certification is independently accredited to both national and international certification standards.
Naturally, we wanted to be sure that we celebrate this historic milestone appropriately and we’ve selected a number of projects including the publication of a Commemorative Book and Anniversary Video that tell the story of NCCCO both for those who “were there” at the beginning and those who have joined the program since. Our 20th anniversary also helps position NCCCO for further growth through the next two decades.
Here are some additional resources related to NCCCO’s 20th Anniversary Recognition Program.
ACT feature article: 20 Years of Certification: What Have We Learned So Far? (April 2016)
- ACT 2016 Sourcebook: A Year of Recognition (January 2016)
- CCO Recertificants Step Up in Record Numbers; an increasing number of recertificants are also opting to take their recertification exams via computer-based testing (January 2016)
- Crane industry experts from across the country were recognized for their contributions to crane safety last month at the NCCCO 20th Anniversary Recognition Gala hosted by the National Commission for the Certification of Crane Operators (November 2015)
- The first NCCCO Industry Forum on Personnel Qualifications—held in conjunction with NCCCO’s 20th Anniversary Recognition Gala—was an unqualified success according to those who attended the event in October (November 2015)
- At CONEXPO Latin America NCCCO shared insights compiled over the last 20 years into how to improve crane safety (November 2015)
- NCCCO Launches 4-Star Recertificant Program recognizing crane operators who have recertified four times (September 2015)
- Taking as its theme its 20th anniversary of providing certification services to industry, NCCCO once again hosted the Lift Safety Zone at the International Construction and Utility Equipment Exposition (ICUEE) (American Cranes & Transport, August 2015)
- As part of its 20th Anniversary Program at ICUEE, NCCCO was also proud to participate in the ICUEE Benefit Auction, which ultimately raised more than $29,000 to help connect military veterans with quality jobs
- A 30-minute webinar about Lift Director qualifications is the first product of NCCCO’s new Safety Information and Research Division, which is being launched as part of NCCCO’s 20th Anniversary Recognition Program (American Cranes & Transport, August 2015)
- Within the context of its 20th anniversary, NCCCO’s acquisition of IAI marks an exciting new chapter in the organization’s evolution as the leading provider of safety-related credentialing services (Press release, August 3, 2015)
- NCCCO presented a paper at the National Safety Council’s annual Congress detailing the “lessons learned” from two decades of crane operator certification (July 2015)
- Manitowoc Cranes sponsors calculators for use on CCO exams as part of its support for NCCCO’s 20th anniversary (Press release, June 16, 2015)
- Buckner Cranes Sponsors NCCCO 20th Anniversary Recognition Run (April 15, 2015)
- NCCCO Marks Two Decades of Crane Operator Certification (American Cranes & Transport, April 2015)
- NCCCO is making available its CCO Mobile Crane Operator written certification exams in Spanish in light of its 20th anniversary commitment to evolve its safety mission (Press release, March 6, 2015)
- In NCCCO’s 20th anniversary year, ANSI's accreditation of the CCO Lift Director and CCO Service Truck Crane Operator programs brings to 11 the number of CCO certifications that ANSI has accredited (Press release, March 3, 2015)
- NCCCO Teams Up With SC&RA, KHL for Careers Promotion Event (Press release, February 6, 2015)
- NCCCO Marks 20 Years of Providing Crane Operator Certification Services to Industry (Press release, January 26, 2015)
NCCCO’s 20th Anniversary Recognition Program is generously sponsored by: